The Urological Surgery Residency is sponsored by Charleston Area Medical Center, a non-profit, 960-bed tertiary health care system located in Charleston, West Virginia, serving a patient population of 500,000 in central and southern West Virginia.
Comprehensive Clinical Training
Our ACGME accredited Urology residency accepts two residents per year for the five-year program through the ERAS and NRMP systems. Residents and staff urologists come to CAMC from across the US. Faculty specialties include: Oncology, Andrology- Infertility, Lower Urinary Reconstruction, Kidney Transplantation, Endourology and General Urology.
The program’s popular Pediatric Urology experience is gained through Nationwide Children’s Hospital in Columbus, Ohio, during PGY3. All other learning experiences occur in Charleston at CAMC hospital facilities.
Goals of the Urological Surgery Residency Program
The goal of the faculty and staff at CAMC is to prepare graduates for entry into careers in Urology, having acquired basic and advanced urologic knowledge and skills necessary to practice in their chosen areas. Other areas of program emphasis are interdisciplinary institutional-level quality improvement and patient safety projects, while fostering an environment of scientific curiosity and learning.
Facts about Our Program
- Current certifying Board pass rate is 100%.
- American Urology Association In-Service-Exam percentile rank scores are above the national average.
- Graduates pursuing fellowships have been successful obtaining fellowship positions in their chosen specialties.
- All residents are active with research and are encouraged to publish and present their work at local, regional and national meetings.
- Residents have opportunities to attend national association meetings and board review courses.
- Current chief resident case logs (for each resident) include:
- Robotic cases: 130 to 140
- Percutaneous Nephrolithotomy: 40 to 50
- Ureteroscopy cases: > 300
- Reconstructive procedures: 180 to 240
- Pediatric procedures: 120 to 150
- Kidney Transplants at CAMC: approximately 100/year
Salary and Benefits
CAMC offers a comprehensive salary and benefit package for residents and fellows.