You will also find some great highlights of living life in Charleston, West Virginia. If you have any questions, please contact us.
Comprehensive Clinical Training
Program Director's Welcome Message
Thank you for your interest in our Internal Medicine Residency in Charleston, West Virginia!
Our internal medicine residency program combines the best of both worlds. The program is a joint effort of Charleston Area Medical Center (CAMC) and West Virginia University School of Medicine. This partnership offers a university atmosphere in the setting of a community hospital. Benefits of this collaboration include:
- The opportunity to provide outstanding care for patients with a wide range of pathology. CAMC is our region’s tertiary care center and has been the recipient of numerous national awards for the care we provide our patients.
- A state of the art Simulation Center. CAMC maintains the Simulation Center and its dedicated support staff while WVU provides the learning platform that allows our residents to review their recorded simulation training sessions remotely from any computer.
- A Diverse faculty. Our full-time WVU faculty are complimented by our hospital and community-based clinical faculty who bring the same passion for teaching while providing varied perspectives to patient care. Our faculty are committed to helping you achieve all of your educational goals and to being fully prepared for the next stage of your career, whichever direction that might take you.
- Multi-professional training. Whether rounding on Med Service with pharmacy residents or running codes with nurses in the Simulation Center, our residents routinely train with learners from multiple disciplines.
- Outstanding research support. In addition to having a dedicated research coordinator for Internal Medicine, the CAMC Institute for Academic Medicine provides expert support in study design, statistical analysis and publishing your results.
- Teaching opportunities. CAMC is the main regional campus for the WVU School of Medicine and also hosts students from the West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine. An integral part of our residents’ training is developing the clinical and didactic teaching skills required to ensure their junior learners receive the same high-quality education they did when they began their journey into medicine.
If you are looking for an Internal Medicine residency that will meet your academic, professional and personal needs, we encourage you to take a look at Charleston Area Medical Center/West Virginia University Charleston Division. We are very proud of our program and look forward to the opportunity to tell you more about it.
Research and Simulation Learning
CAMC and the Department of Internal Medicine are committed to providing the necessary support for all our learner's research needs. Whether your focus is in case presentation or original research, we have the tools in place to assist you through your project.
Suzanne Kemper, MPH provides research support for the CAMC/WVU Department of Internal Medicine. Her role includes protocol development, IRB submissions/amendments, data collection design, analysis/results reporting, editing poster/presentations and manuscript development/submission.
Research focus areas include, but are not limited to, opioid use, liver cirrhosis, hepatitis A, gun ownership, heart failure and lung cancer screening. Abstract assistance for presentations/posters include CAMC Research Day (11 case/original posters/oral), WV State ACP (25 case/original posters, 2 orals) and National Conferences (19 case/original posters/oral presentations). Suzanne provides support on grant funded projects, including an American Cancer Society project related to lung cancer screening. She also guides and mentors Everest Institute candidates, as well as Summer Externs, during their time on campus. IM QIPs projects will become a vital part in how quality research can translate to practice. The reporting of IM Research is maintained via New Innovations.
Simulation at CAMC and WVU/Charleston Division consists of a dedicated simulation teaching laboratory encompassing approximately 7,000 square feet. The center maintains a full-time staff, including a curriculum development specialist who will assist faculty members with integrating simulation into their curriculums. The center is located at CAMC General Hospital 5 East. Simulation technology has advanced in recent years to allow for high fidelity experiences that, when used as part of a larger educational experience, can greatly enhance medical education.
The IM Department utilizes the Simulation center for the following:
- Videoed Standardized patient for all interns
- Procedural Simulation
- Ultrasound assisted Central Lines
- Lumbar Puncture
- Peripheral IV
- Pap exams
- Patient Simulation in following scenarios:
- Obtaining code status
- Breaking bad news
- Obtaining consent
Our Culture: CAMC and Charleston
Resident well-being is a top priority for the program. We strive to provide residents with the support whether that be physical or emotional. A Well-Being committee was created to help facilitate this and help organize activities such as bowling, game nights, potlucks, escape room, and sky zone trampoline park. We have also changed the medicine service schedule to not have any 24-hour shifts and provide weekdays off to help have free time to make dental, medical, DMV, etc. appointments.
In addition to the extensive options from CAMC GME, the IM Department has Well-Being Committee that meets to plan events for the department. During the 2019-2020 academic year we had following events:
- End of Year Cook out/ Graduation party
- Summer pool party
- Locked and coded Escape Rooms
- Painting at noon on 4th floor
- Thanksgiving at Helmick’s house
- Christmas white elephant party
- Monthly Universal Yum box for group
- Entire Sky Zone rented for CAMC residents and families
Welcome to Charleston, West Virginia! Look forward to enjoying life in the Capital city and being embraced by community of culture and amazing experiences.
- Charleston CVB Official Welcome Video
- University of Charleston: This is Charleston
- Visit WV: Southern West Virginia